Sayonara, Shabalala
0 Comments Published by Dan on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at Wednesday, February 15, 2006.
So another music man died yesterday, this one I don't personally feel quite so strong about, but a pretty interesting and talented guy in his own right for sure. Jockey Shabalala was a longtime member of the South African acapella ensemble Ladysmith Black Mambazo, whose brother Joseph was the founder and still leader of the group. They were introduced to mass audiences after accompanying Paul Simon on his Graceland album, and their signature harmonies that blend african and gospel technique is instantly recognizable and pretty damn aweseome to behold. I first saw them on Sesame Street - They've been doing their thing for decades, I got to attend a show of theirs a few years back which was pretty great, so I know I've seen Jockey even though I couldn't pick him out in this photo. Apparently they tour the U.S. fairly often and are in fact touring right now, so if they happen to come by your hometown and it's at a reasonable price by all means check 'em out. Here's a couple of tracks in memory of Mr. Shabalala (coolest name ever?)

0 Responses to “Sayonara, Shabalala”
Post a Comment