oates & hall

In case anyone checked in the past couple of days and saw a gray mess, well I had found this nice template I liked and set it all up, until everything went screwy the next day so I said fuck it to updating the box until the site looked right again. Seems like things are back to business so I too will go back to some business of my own, that is posting some of my music.

I used the handy browse feature and noticed I've never paid proper tribute to one of the towering giants of pop/rock/r&b, twin towers if you will, and in all seriousness one of my most listened to groups - I don't think I can even call them a guilty pleasure at this point. Maybe it was John's moustache, perhaps the pastel suits and leatherwear fashion statements are enough reason why the duo isn't remembered altogether fondly, but make no mistake Hall and Oates were a bonifide hit machine fueled by the purest white boy soul. Rarely does a musical entity ooze such heaping amounts of nostalgia for the decade of decadence and remain relevant and entertaining to this day, and for many more days to come to be sure.

It started with an unhealthy obsession of I Can't Go For That (No Can Do), the #1 Adult Contemporary single with a terribly funky beat and some really great singing by Darryl Hall. New levels of addiction were reached when I sunk deep into Private Eyes about a dozen times in a row on a train ride to New York. Before I knew it the LP recording of Voices had a place of honor on the bookshelf in my home, Rich Girl and Out of Touch made frequent appearances on a variety of mix CD's and I had fallen under the same spell as millions of teenage girls circa 1983. Let it be know that they were a respectable R&B duo in the 70's and never lost any of that talent, they just set their crosshairs on conquering pop music with a Yamaha RX 5 drum machine, a barrage of synths and a powerful pair of velvety pipes (no homo). Their songs are of their time yet utterly timeless, glorious 3 minute ditties that reek of forgotten Michael J Fox movies.

So don't ever feel ashamed if their saccharine familiarities show up on the radio and you find yourself tapping your feet and humming the catchy melodies. Be proud you're giving their craft the respect it deserves. For enjoying a group like Barenaked Ladies would be classified as a guilty pleasure. Rockapella, sure. Pat McGee Band, there's something to hide. But Darryl Hall and John Oates? The most successful chart duo in American music history? Nothing short of Legendary.

Below is a colorful selection of Hall and Oates' greatest hits (is there any other kind?) that I make a point to listen to regularly.

Hall & Oates - Private Eyes (U.K. Mix)
Hall & Oates - You Make My Dreams
Hall & Oates - One on One
Hall & Oates - Family Man (Extended Dance Mix)
Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)


the greatest album cover of all time?

0 Responses to “oates & hall”

Post a Comment